Score: Emmanuel College - 1, Albertus Magnus College- 1
Records: Emmanuel College Saints (1-5-6, 1-1-4 GNAC), Suffolk University Rams (5-5-1, 2-3-2 GNAC)
Location: Roberto Clemente Field – Boston, Mass.
Date: Saturday, October 7, 2017
The Lead: Freshman midfielder Jack O'Connor scored first to give the Rams a first half lead which they would hang onto until Eymar Principe (Caracas, Venezuela) buried a goal early in the second half to even the score for the Saints. The two teams battled throughout overtime with the game ending in a 1-1 draw in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action at Roberto Clemente Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams struck first 33:52 seconds into the game on a corner kick from sophomore midfielder Christian Restrepo that was finished by O'Connor on a powerful header.
- The Saints had two chances late in the first half to double their lead, but missed the mark leaving them 1-0 up at half.
- The Rams were extremely dangerous on the counter in the first half generating their most dangerous chances from Emmanuel turnovers.
- Principe headed in a perfectly played corner by Cameron Messier (Belchertown,Mass.) to begin the second half knotting the game up at one a piece.
- Suffolk outpaced the Saints in the second half forcing Jonathan Ferrarini (Hanover, Mass.) to make seven saves.
- The Rams' goalkeeper Kyle Van Cleef kept things tidy in the back coming out of the area to clear balls played in behind the back line. The keeper made one save in the second half, but thwarted many more opportunities with his aggressive play.
- The two fatigued sides battled throughout overtime without out generating many scoring chances; the shots read Emmanuel 2, Suffolk 2.
BY THE NUMBERS
- Suffolk outshot Emmanuel 17-10 on the afternoon.
- Emmanuel was edged by Suffolk in corner kicks 9-6
- The Saints have allowed just four goals in 630 minutes of Great Northeast Athletic Conference play
- The overtime bout marked the Saints seventh overtime game of the season.
- Ferrarini ended the night with nine saves while SU keeper Van Cleef made five
- Emmanuel returns to action on Wednesday at 7:00 PM when they play host to conference Saint Joseph's (Maine).
- Suffolk University is back the same day traveling to Rivier University for a 7:30 PM kick off.