Score: Regis College, 73; Emmanuel College, 70
Records: Regis College Pride (6-6, 3-1 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (1-11, 0-3 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Tuesday, January 9, 2018
THE LEAD: Junior guard Jordan Seldon (Dorchester, Mass.) buried a deep three as time expired to propel Regis College past host Emmanuel College, 73-70, Tuesday evening in Great Northeast Athletic Conference action on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Pride controlled the first half action, never trailing in the stanza en route to a 41-30 halftime lead behind a 62.5% shooting performance from the field.
- Emmanuel opened the second frame with a 6-0 spurt to make it a two possession game at 41-36, reenergizing the crowd for a battle to the end.
- With less than 15 minutes to play, Regis junior Shawn Wedderburn (Bronx, N.Y.) connected on a jumper to extend the visitor lead to 50-41 before Emmanuel responded with a 10-0 run capped by a three from junior center Ira Lough (North Smithfield, R.I.) to give the hosts their first lead of the game at 51-50 with 12:40 to play.
- The run extended to a 15-0 blast, bumping the lead to 56-50 after a layup by junior Isaiah Ruffen (Haverhill, Mass.) with 10:42 to play.
- Over the next five minutes, Regis fought back to even the score at 61-61 on a jumper by Seldon.
- Each squad held a lead down the stretch with the Saints pulling ahead 67-65 with 1:52 left with a layup by freshman forward Marcus Fox (Danbury, Conn.).
- Seldon connected on one of two free throws to make it a one point game (67-66) with 1:28 remaining before he gave the Pride a 68-67 lead with a 1:06 to play.
- With under a minute left in regulation, the Saints turned the ball over with 41 tics on the clock and Regis capitalized with a pair of free throws by Juvens Dalger (Oakland Park, Fla.) to make it a three point, 70-67 margin.
- The Saints advanced the ball, calling a timeout with 13 seconds to play and draw up a look to tie. Out of the break, junior guard Joe Tamburro (South Windsor, Conn.) drilled a three on the baseline with 12.2 seconds left on the clock to even the score at 70-70.
- On the final possession, Regis advanced the ball to midcourt, calling its final timeout to set the stage for Seldon's buzzer-beating heroics for the 73-70 final.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Tamburro led the scoring attack for the Saints with 14 points, including the game tying three-pointer with less than 15 seconds left in the game.
- Junior Ademola Afonja (Staten Island, N.Y.) scored a game-high 17 points for the Pride, shooting 66.7 percent from the floor on the evening.
- The Pride controlled the boards throughout the game, out-rebounding the Saints 37 – 24.
- Wedderburn and Seldon each scored 15 points, respectively, and totaled a combined 14 rebounds.
- The Pride head to GNAC foe Norwich University this Thursday, January 11th at 3:00 PM.
- Emmanuel looks to break through into the win column when they travel to Lasell College this Thursday, January 11th at 7:00 PM.