Score: Mount Ida College, 103; Emmanuel College, 99
Records: Mount Ida Mustangs (4-2, 1-0 GNAC); Emmanuel College Saints (1-5, 0-1 GNAC)
Location: Boston, Mass. – Andy Yosinoff Court
Date: Saturday, December 2, 2017
THE LEAD: Even with a combined 46 points from Mount Ida's senior guards Joey DeFillippi (Bristol, CT) and Erralk Jordine (Stamford, CT), the Mustangs were able to pull ahead of the Emmanuel College Saints in extra time to win 103-99 on the Andy Yosinoff Court.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Saints controlled the beginning of the first half, coming off of the tip off with a made three-pointer by Joe Tamburro (South Windsor, CT) and pair of free throws by Isaiah Ruffen (Haverhill, MA).
- The Saints finally relinquished their lead with three minutes left in the half when the Mustangs' Kevin Conner (Mansfield, MA) made a shot from behind the arc.
- Mount Ida was able to finish the half up by two with a score of 53-51 after getting to the free throw line seven times in the final two minutes.
- Tamburro scored three quick layups for the Saints off of the back door cut to take the lead back to 57-56 for the Saints.
- With ten minutes left in the half, the Mustangs' DeFillippi tied the game up with a made three-pointer, evening the score to 70 a piece.
- Emmanuel was able to extend the lead to six points before the Mustangs scored five straight led by Jordine to tie the game 82-82.
- The teams battled back and forth for the final five minutes of the game until before ending regulation tied 91-91 sending the game into extra time.
- With both teams being foul trouble, the extra time consisted of back and forth free throw shots until DeFillippi made shot behind the arc to take the lead 97-98.
- The Mustangs were able to close out the game, extending the lead to four by three free throws by Clark and a layup by DeFillippi.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Riddick recorded a game and career high of 30 points, along with five rebounds, three assists and two steals.
- Jordine helped to lead the Mustangs offense recording a double-double with 24 points and 10 rebounds.
- The Saints struggled from the line, shooting only 69.7% on the day.
- DeFillippi recorded his 1,000th point of his career, only the 11th Mustang to do so in school history.
- The Mustangs will be looking to stretch its winning streak to four as they host Newbury College on Tuesday, December 5th at 5:00 PM.
- Emmanuel will also be playing on Tuesday, December 5th hosting cross-town foe MIT at 7:00 PM.