BOSTON, Mass. - Emmanuel College hosted the 12th Annual Saints Invitational Cross Country race Friday afternoon at the historic Franklin Park course. Gordon College took home the women's team crown while Wentworth Institute of Technology captured the men's title. The host Saints finished fifth overall in the women's race and seventh on the men's side.
- New England College senior Abby Shafer (Egg Harbor Township, N.J.) crushed the field with a time of 18:34, to win the individual crown by more than a minute to set a new meet record on the 5k course at the Saints Invitational.
- On the men's side, Wentworth senior Alex Robbins (Mansfield, Mass.) ran the 8K course in 26:03 to help the Leopards to the overall team crown.
- Sophomore Erik Brobst (Freeport, Maine) was the top male finisher for the Saints, placing 10th in the field of 196 with a time of 27:23 on the 8K course
- Sophomore Patrick Carty (Sweden, Maine) was next for Emmanuel with a finish of 27:35 in 14th place
- Rookie Trevor Hajj (Gilmanton, N.H.) crossed the line in 42nd while junior Brandon Fitzpatrick (Tewksbury, Mass.) finished in 62nd place.
- First year Matthew Cronin (Coventry, R.I.) rounded out the top five for the Saints in 74th place and a time of 29:58.
- Freshman Stephanie Forester (East Walpole, Mass.) was the top Emmanuel female to cross the finish, clocking in at 20:02 which was good for 6th place out of 210 runners while classmate Pearl Vercruysse (Oak Bluffs, Mass.) was just behind her in 13th place with a time of 20:19
- Junior Reilly Boyle (Wells, Maine) finished 32nd with a time of 21:06
- Junior Jackie Schneider (Weymouth, Mass.) and senior Nicole Varca (Wethersfield, Conn.) ran the 5K course in 21:25 to finish 41st and 42nd, respectively to round out the women's top five
The Saints return to action in two weekends when they head to Bristol, R.I. for the Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) championship race.