Location: New London, Conn.
Meet Host: Connecticut College
Date: Saturday, April 14, 2018
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College Outdoor Track & Field teams enjoyed a strong showing at the Silfen Invitational hosted by Connecticut College on Saturday afternoon. Six members qualified for the NCAA Division III New England meet, one new school record was set and 23 new personal records were established.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Senior Francisco Tavares (Boston, Mass.) qualified for the NCAA Division III New England meet in the 400m race with his time of 51.13 seconds, good for a 12th place finish in the event.
- Freshman sprinter Chelsea Smith (Manchester, Conn.) set a new program record in the 200m race with a time of 26.46 seconds for a seventh place finish. Smith also finished ninth in the 400m race with a PR time of 61.24 seconds.
- Sophomore Jacquelyn Schneider (Weymouth, Mass.) competed in the Heptathlon and scored a total of 3,488 points overall to also qualify for the NCAA Division III New England meet later this spring. Schneider posted PR's in both the 800m race and the Shot Put event.
- The women's 4x800m relay team made up of Reilly Boyle (Wells, Maine), Katherine Holmberg (North Easton, Mass.), Stephanie Forester (East Walpole, Mass.) and Jordyn Gonsor (Springfield, Mass.) clocked in at 10:38.17 to also qualify for the NCAA Division III New England meet, finishing eighth in the field at the Silfen Invite.
- Freshman Jake Cavanaugh (Redding, Conn.) posted personal bests in both the 100m hurdles and 400m hurdles events.
- Aidan Sitler (Wethersfield, Conn.) also posted a pair of PR's in the Triple Jump and the Javelin
- The Saints return to action on Saturday, April 21 when they head across the river to compete at MIT in the Sean Collier Invitational starting at noon.