Location: Boston, Mass. – Reggie Lewis Center
Meet Host: University of Massachusetts - Boston
Date: Saturday, December 2, 2017
THE LEAD: The Emmanuel College indoor track & field season opened at the UMass Boston Winter Open this weekend. Three women were able to place within the top eight in their events, along with one runner from the men's team.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both team's had a great showing from their first-year athletes, with three athletes placing within the top eight in their respective races.
- Chelsea Smith (Manchester, CT) started off the school record assault by running a time of 8.15 seconds in the trials of the 60m dash. Smith ended up finishing eighth in the finals, running an 8.18 seconds.
- Later in the afternoon, Smith was able to record another school record finishing in fourth place in the 200m race, running a time of 26.02 seconds.
- Smith qualified for the New England D-III Championship in both the 60m dash and 200m.
- Pearl Vercruysee (Chilmark, MA) was a double winner with two New England D-III Championship qualifying performances as she broke school records in the mile race and 1000m event.
- For the men's team, first-year Trevor Hajj (Derry, NH) began his collegiate career placing fourth overall in the 500m race, recording a time of 1:09.45.
- Emmanuel returns to action on Saturday, December 9th when they head to Rhode Island for the RIC Invite in Providence, RI.